FieldMonitor turns your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch® into a wireless picture monitor / waveform monitor / vectorscope / histogram. See exactly what your camera is doing, without tethering your camera—or yourself—to a hardwired monitor and set of ’scopes.
FieldMonitor works with compatible Panasonic™and Sony™ cameras, or with Teradek™ Cube™, Clip™, or VidiU™ transmitters.
- Full-screen monitoring of your signal, with or without engineering ’scopes.
- A full range of onscreen markers: frameline and mask with adjustable safe areas and aspect ratios; several grids, center markers, and a customizable crosshair.
- Focus Assist with variable sensitivity and two display modes (with camera sources only, not Teradeks. On iOS 11, focus assist requires iOS 11.2 or later).
- Use 3D LUTs to view camera images: use the built-in VLog-to-V709 LUT or import your own .cube LUTs (camera sources only).
- On modern iDevices, you can also see a fully-adjustable false-color overlay for direct exposure verification.
- H and V Image Flip.
- Anamorphic desqueeze support for 1.33x, 1.5x, and 2.0x lenses.
- With a compatible camera you also get start/stop, exposure, color balance, and focus controls, so you can maintain essential control even while recording.*
||Resolution (16x9 images)
||Display LUTs &
|Panasonic Lumix cameras (DC and DMC
|Yes||Yes||GH4s can’t record 10-bit when in Wi-Fi remote
mode. Some cameras only transmit 320x180 images. Latency: 4 frames @ 24fps typical.
Remote” cameras (A6500, A7Sii, A7Rii, etc.)
|Yes||Yes||“Smart Remote” Sonys disable Picture Profiles and limit other features in Wi-Fi remote mode: no S-Log! Latency: 5–6 frames @ 24fps typical.|
remote” cameras (A7Riii, A9, A99ii, etc.)
|Yes||Yes||“Integrated remote” Sonys allow Picture Profiles in Wi-Fi remote mode: S-Log works! Latency: 5–6 frames @ 24fps typical.|
||depends on Teradek settings;
480i to 1080p
|No||No||Cube 100–600 series, VidiU, and Clip only.
Latency: 4+ frames @24fps depending on encoder settings.
Full screen monitoring: camera controls at the edges, plus
a focus-area rectangle when the camera transmits it.
Display one or three ’scopes and set up how they should appear.
There are frameline, mask, grid, center, and custom markers, too.
False-color display allows setting each of the color levels.
Unsure where your focus point is?
Focus Assist gives you fully adjustable in-app sharpening, like an analog peaking control (Focus Assist is only available for camera sources, not for Teradeks).
Focus Assist’s Edge Mode really emphasizes where focus is placed.
Focus Assist demo:
Anamorphic support? Sure! Pick your lens and your final cropped aspect ratio (version 4.2 shown, without Focus Assist controls).
The 4-WAY display lets you see all the ’scopes alongside picture.
Many Panasonic cameras offer a peaking control (in STBY mode only, alas).
With Panasonics, you can magnify the focus area as both picture-in-picture...
...and as a full-screen image.
Use a LUT to properly view log images or to apply a look (camera sources only).
Version 4.1 reviewed by DSLRVideoShooter:
Version 4.1 reviewed by DansTube.tv in Australia:
Versión 4.1 revisada por Toni Galera en LookMediaSpain.com:
A quick demo of version 4.2, showing FieldMonitor’s Sony-specific operations:
A quick demo of version 3.0, showing Panasonic operations, ’scopes, and anamorphic settings:
See also Newsshooter.com's 2½ minute video on Wi-Fi WFM (FieldMonitor's predecessor) from Cine Gear Expo 2016.
* FieldMonitor provides a limited set of controls intended to supplement or replace on-camera adjustments while recording under Wi-Fi control. It does not replace Panasonic’s own Image App or Sony’s PlayMemories Mobile for more comprehensive control, configuration, playback, and image transfer.
Your iDevice is a wireless video display with FieldMonitor
FieldMonitor is an independently-developed app, not a product of Panasonic, Sony, or Teradek. Panasonic, Sony, and Teradek are not responsible for FieldMonitor’s performance, suitability, or fitness for purpose.
iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Panasonic and Lumix are trademarks of Panasonic Corporation. Sony is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Teradek, Cube, Clip, VidiU, and Bolt are trademarks of Teradek, a Vitec Group Brand.
© 2018 Adam J. Wilt. Last updated 2018.01.27