FieldMonitor turns your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch® into a wireless picture monitor / waveform monitor / vectorscope / histogram. See exactly what your camera is doing, without tethering your camera—or yourself—to a hardwired monitor and set of ’scopes.
FieldMonitor works with compatible Wi-Fi-capable Panasonic™and Sony™ cameras, or with Teradek™ Cube™, Clip™, or VidiU™ transmitters.
- Full-screen monitoring of your signal, with or without engineering ’scopes.
- A full range of onscreen markers: frameline and mask with adjustable safe areas and aspect ratios; several grids, center markers, and a customizable crosshair.
- Use 3D LUTs to view camera images: use the built-in VLog-to-V709 LUT or import your own .cube LUTs.
- With modern iDevices, you can also see a fully-adjustable false-color overlay for direct exposure verification.
- H and V Image Flip.
- Anamorphic desqueeze support for 1.33x, 1.5x, and 2.0x lenses.
- With a compatible camera you also get start/stop, exposure, color balance, and focus controls, so you can maintain essential control even while recording.*
FieldMonitor has been proven to work with the following Panasonic cameras: DC-GH5, DMC-FZ300, DMC-G7, DMC-G85, DMC-GH4, DMC-GX7, DMC-GX85, DMC-LX10, DMC-LX100, DMC-ZS60, and DMC-ZS100. It's likely that any other Wi-Fi-capable Lumix camera that works with Panasonic’s Image App will work equally well with FieldMonitor.
Panasonic GH3 and earlier cameras do not support remote control or monitoring while recording video.
FieldMonitor implements the Sony Camera Remote API 2.40 and should
work with any Sony camera listed
here that offers liveview and movie recording capability using Sony’s PlayMemories
Mobile app. For Alpha, HX, WX, and RX series cameras, that means the ILCE-7M2,
ILCE-7RM2, ILCE-7S, ILCE-7SM2, ILCE-5100, ILCE-6300, ILCE-6500, DSC-HX60/V, DSC-HX80,
DSC-HX90/V, DSC-HX400/V, DSC-WX500, DSC-RX10M2, DSC-RX10M3, DSC-RX100M3, DSC-RX100M4
and DSC-RX100M5. These cameras must have the free Smart Remote
Control installed from the PlayMemories
Camera Apps Store to be controllable by FieldMonitor!
Sony A7, A6000, A5000, and earlier cameras do not support remote control or monitoring while recording video.
||Resolution (16x9 images)
|Yes||Yes||GH4s can’t record 10-bit when in Wi-Fi remote
|Yes||Yes||Sonys disable Picture Profiles and limit other features when in Wi-Fi remote mode: no S-Log!|
|Teradek||depends on Teradek settings;
480i to 1080p
|No||No||Cube 100–600 series, VidiU, and Clip only.
Full screen monitoring: camera controls at the edges, plus
a focus-area rectangle if the camera’s focus mode allows it.
Display one or three ’scopes and set up how they should appear.
There are frameline, mask, grid, center, and custom markers, too.
False-color display allows setting each of the color levels.
Anamorphic support? Sure! Pick your lens and your final (cropped) aspect ratio.
The 4-WAY display lets you see all the ’scopes alongside picture.
Many Panasonic cameras offer a peaking control
(in STBY mode only, alas).
With Panasonics, you can magnify the focus area as both picture-in-picture...
...and as a full-screen image.
Use a LUT to properly view log images or to apply a look (camera sources only):
Here's a review by DSLRVideoShooter:
Here's a quick 'n' dirty demo of version 3.0, created to aid the App Store approval process:
See also Newsshooter.com's 2½ minute video on Wi-Fi WFM (FieldMonitor's predecessor) from Cine Gear Expo 2016.
* FieldMonitor provides a limited set of controls intended to supplement or replace on-camera adjustments while recording under Wi-Fi control. It does not replace Panasonic’s own Image App or Sony’s PlayMemories Mobile for more comprehensive control, configuration, playback, and image transfer.
Your iDevice is a wireless video / engineering display with FieldMonitor
FieldMonitor is an independently-developed app, not a product of Panasonic, Sony, or Teradek. Panasonic, Sony, and Teradek are not responsible for FieldMonitor’s performance, suitability, or fitness for purpose.
iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Panasonic and Lumix are trademarks of Panasonic Corporation. Sony is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Teradek, Cube, Clip, VidiU, and Bolt are trademarks of Teradek, a Vitec Group Brand.
© 2017 Adam J. Wilt. Last updated 2017.10.07